Find out what’s happening in the property investment arena both in the UK and internationally
A Slice Of Life In Madeira
June 5, 2009Article by Ray Withers
Most people looking at Madeira property investment know the place as a subtropical Atlantic island famous for cake and wine, but it has other little known claims to fame as well:
1. The island is the peak of an extinct volcano – last active 6,500 years ago – rising 3.75 miles from the ocean floor. The highest point of the island is almost 4,000 feet above sea level.
2. The capital is Funchal where more than half of the 250,000 population live
3. Madeira has no indigenous population. The island is people by the Portuguese and is governed by Portugal.
4. Madeira has 1,350 miles of levedas – that are channels for moving water from the wetter north of the island to the drier south. The levedas are sometimes hewn out of rocky mountainsides or tunnelled through rock.The levedas make excellent paths for hikers and are a great tourist attraction.
5. Madeira is a free trade zone to encourage business with tax benefits for firms setting up there.
6. Eco tourism is becoming a big pull because the island has a number of endemic plants; birds, insects, bats and lizards that the government is working hard to make sure survive.
Tourism generates 20% of the island’s gross domestic product each year. Most of the tourists come from Portugal, the UK, Germany and Scandinavia. One of the main attractions is the consistent all-year round warm climate.The average annual hotel occupation rate is 60.3% (2008).
7. Famous people related to Madeira are Christopher Columbus, who moved there for a while after he married and Manchester United footballer Christiano Ronaldo.
If you are thinking of investing in property in Madeira, Portugal, Property Frontiers has secured an exclusive deal at the five stars Azulara Resort.With 70% of the island’s land protected from development or unsuitable for real estate, Madeira is safe from overcrowding and congestion and makes Azulara Resort an excellent investment. The project has high rental returns and with the added bonus of a 13% gifted deposit; clients can purchase these top quality apartments with only a 2% deposit of £4,320.